Tropical Sandy Beaches
Sri Lanka is well known for its sandy beaches. The scenic view of the sandy shores and beaches are the perfect place to relax. If you are a beach lover and searching for sense of true joy and peace while relaxing on a beach, then you should add Sri Lanka to your list. Soak in the sun while sipping a refreshing cocktail on the best beaches in Sri Lanka on your next trip.
Sri Lanka’s west coast shows the island at its most developed, its most westernized, and its most tourist oriented aspect. A string of fine beaches, backed by hundreds of hotels and guesthouses, lines the coast from Negombo in the North to Hikkaduwa in the South. Despite increasing development in other parts of the island, the large hotels in Negombo, Kalutara, Beruwala and Bentota, all within easy reach of the capital, Colombo continue to serve as the hub of the island’s tourism industry. These resorts offer trips to primarily the European visitors, particularly during winter in the northern hemisphere.
The South coast is one of Sri Lanka’s most rewarding areas to visit. Representing the island in microcosm, the region offers gorgeous beaches, colonial towns, and superb wildlife parks, as well as a host of Buddhist shrines and temples. In addition, this coastline is home to a selection of some of the island’s most alluring places to stay, from luxurious beach hotels to atmospheric colonial-era villas. Active travelers can find a never-ending range of things to do and see here. However, despite gradual ongoing development around the coast, much of the region’s charm lies in its somnolent and quintessentially rural atmosphere which has countless sleepy villages nestling in the shade of toppling palm trees.
Sri Lanka’s east coast is unquestionably beautiful, but was off the tourist trail for many years due to the long-raging war against terrorism, compounded by the damage wrought by the 2004 Tsunami. However, in the years following the end of the war in 2009, there has been slow and steady reconstruction and the region now looks to the future with renewed confidence. Its major towns – Trincomalee and Batticaloa – are bustling with life and commercial activity, while ongoing development is starting to unlock the huge potential of the superb coastline.
Top Sri Lankan Beaches
- Arugam Bay – For Surfing, Yoga and Fishing
- Bentota – For Water Sports and Boat Safari along the river
- Beruwala Beach – The Golden Beach
- Casuarina Beach – An Unexplored Beach
- Dickwella – For Lush Sandy Beaches
- Galle – For Colonial Architecture
- Hikkaduwa – For Snorkeling, Surfing and Swimming
- Induruwa – For Scenic Beaches And Villages
- Kahandamodara Beach – A Coconut Fringed Beach
- Kalpitiya – For Dolphin Watching
- Koggala – For Turtle Hatchery, Lake and Folk Art Museum
- Mirissa – For Whale Watching
- Negombo – For Peace and Relaxation
- Nilaveli – For a Fine Stretch of Sand
- Pasakudah And Kalkudah – For White Sandy Beaches, jet-skiing and boat rides
- Pigeon Island – For the Best Coral Reefs and Scuba Diving
- Pottuvil – For a Quiet Beach Time
- Rekawa – For Sea Turtles
- Trincomalee – For Stunning Temples
- Tangalle – For Sandy Beaches and Turquoise Waters
- Talalla South – For Swimming in Clear Waters
- Unawatuna – For Tranquil Blue Waters
- Weligama and Midigama– For beautiful beaches and excellent surf
- Wijaya – For a Stretch of White Sand