Lost /Stolen Passport
A Sri Lankan citizen by descent or by registration can apply for a Sri Lankan Passport under the lost/stolen passport category
- If your passport is lost or stolen, it is your responsibility to inform the concerned authorities’ immediately. Failure to do so may result in your lost or stolen passports being used for illegal activities and you may be liable for aiding and abetting an offence.
- A Sri Lankan citizen by descent or by registration can apply for a Sri Lankan Passport under the lost passport category.
- Please note that all supporting documents should be submitted in originals with 01 set of photocopies of each, on one side of A4 size paper along with the duly completed passport application.
Fee for Passport under the Lost/Stolen Category
- Submission of application with a copy of the lost/stolen passport – SEK 3545
- Submission of application without a copy of the lost/stolen passport – SEK 4495
Other fee applicable:
- Please refer details on posting of documents by the Embassy for those opting for Remote Consular Services on “Services to Sri Lankan Citizens”.
- Postage within Sweden – SEK 140 (single service fee)
- Postage outside of Sweden – SEK 180 (single service fee)
Administrative charges :
- Photocopies taken by the Embassy in case of non-submission of copies of original documents) – SEK 50
- Bank fee (cross border transfer) – SEK 50
The Embassy does not accept PAYMENTS MADE BY CHEQUES. If paid by the Debit/Credit Cards (Only VISA and Master cards), Bank commission of 1.5% will be added to the payment.
The following documents should be submitted with the application to obtain a new passport under the lost passport category
- . Duly completed passport application Form- “K35A” – (Downloads)Filled-in block capital English letters.
Please refer to trilingual instructions on (Downloads)
- Duly completed lost passport complaint form (Downloads)
- Police Report obtained from the country where the passport was reported lost/stolen. The police report should be made available in English, authenticated by the relevant country’s Foreign Ministry.
- Affidavit of non-acquisition of citizenship of a foreign country/refugee/asylum status (Downloads)
- Four clear coloured photographs as per the specifications for Sri Lankan passport photos (Downloads).
– The Photographs must meet the specifications indicated by the guidelines mentioned.
6.Copy of the bio-page of the lost passport (if available)
- Original birth certificate OR attested copy of the birth certificate by the Honorary Consul of the country of residence.
– Please note that an original birth certificate or a certified copy of the original birth certificate should be issued by the Registrar General Department/ District Secretariat/ Divisional Secretariat only-
-English translation of the birth certificate nor e-DAS attested copy shall be considered as the original.
-Photocopies certified by the other parties and translators will not be accepted.
8.Valid residence permit OR attested copy of the residence permit card by the Honorary Consul of the country of residence.
-If the applicant is currently in the process of visa extension/renewal, a letter/status of the visa application from the resident country’s Migration Agency should be submitted. The letter must be in English/an English translation, counter-authenticated by the Foreign Ministry of the country of residence.
– Photocopies certified by the other parties and translators will not be accepted.
- A copy of the Sri Lankan National Identity Card (N.I.C). Not applicable for children under 18 years of age.
- Dual Citizenship Certificate and foreign passport OR attested copies of the dual citizenship certificate and the foreign passport by the Honorary Consul of the country of residence.
- If the applicant was born outside Sri Lanka and over 21 years of age those applicants need to submit an affidavit affirming that they will retain Sri Lanka citizenship (Downloads)
- Personbevis from Tax office ( Skatterverket). Applicable only for residents of Sweden. Must be provided in English.
Please refer to other documents required in addition to the above required documents for minor/dual citizenship holders in case of Lost/Stolen passports Requirements for Child and Dual Citizens
Other useful information on Lost/Stolen Passports
IF YOU ARE IN SRI LANKA
- If your passport is stolen or lost in Sri Lanka, you can report the incident by phone to the Department of Immigration & Emigration.
- Hotline: 0094 11 532 9326
- Operators are available 8.30 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. Sri Lanka time, Monday to Friday, excluding Government holidays.
- Make a complaint to your local police station as soon as possible.
- Police will transmit the details of your complaint to the Department of Immigration and Emigration.
- Upon receipt by Immigration the details from the police, Immigration and Emigration Department will take necessary measures to cancel the stolen, lost or missing passport.
IF YOU ARE OVERSEAS
- Make a complaint to your local police station in the country of residence and obtain a police report.
- Download a stolen or lost passport complaint form. (refer Downloads tab)
- Submit the duly filled complaint form together with the aforementioned documents and police report to the Embassy of Sri Lanka, Stockholm.
- The Embassy shall transmit to the Immigration Department in Sri Lanka the details of the stolen or lost passports. Upon receipt of such information, Department will take necessary measures to cancel the stolen, lost or missing passport.
- If you find another person’s lost Sri Lankan passport, please mail it in a sturdy envelope to the address below.
Lost / Stolen Passport Desk
International Cooperation Unit
Department of Immigration and Emigration
- Never use a Passport reported stolen or lost.
- Passport reported stolen or lost are invalidated and can no longer be used for travel.
- The information you provide regarding a Stolen or Lost Passport will be entered in Stolen/Lost Passport System of the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka and automatically shared internationally through INTERPOL
- If you recover the passport after you have reported it lost or stolen, please submit it to the address listed above. When you submit it, if requested – Department will cancel it and return it to you. If not requested, it will be destroyed.
- Once a passport is reported lost or stolen, it cannot be re-validated.
- You are strongly advised to obtain a new passport immediately to avoid inconvenience.