Non Machine Readable Passport (NMRP)/ Emergency Passport
Eligibility: A Sri Lankan citizen by descent or by registration can apply for a NMRP/Emergency Passport.
- A Non-Machine Readable Passport can be issued in lieu of a lost/stolen/expired/damaged passport of a Sri Lankan national, ONLY to return to Sri Lanka.
- However, if the Embassy has accepted an application in lieu of a passport which is expired or lost and the applicant requires a Travel Document for Emergency Traveling ONLY to return to Sri Lanka, NMRP may be issued as a stop gap travel document until the renewed passport is received.
- NMRP is valid only for ONE month (30 days) from the date of issuance.
- Please note that Embassy will NOT take any responsibility to applications and documents which are NOT duly received to the Embassy premises.
- All supporting documents should be submitted in originals with 01 set of photocopies of each, on one side of A4 size paper along with the duly completed application.
Fee for NMRP/Emergency Passport
- To issue a NMRP as a Stop-Gap Travel Document – SEK 615
- To issue a NMRP if previous passport is lost/stolen/damaged- SEK 1605
Other fee applicable:
Please refer details on posting of documents by the Embassy for those opting for Remote Consular Services on “Services to Sri Lankan Citizens”.
- Postage within Sweden – SEK 140 (single service fee)
- Postage outside of Sweden – SEK 180 (single service fee)
Administrative charges :
- Photocopies taken by the Embassy in case of non-submission of copies of original documents- SEK 50
- Bank fee (cross border transfer) – SEK 50
The Embassy does not accept payments made by cheques. If paid by the Debit/Credit Cards (Only VISA and Master cards), Bank commission of 1.5% will be added to the payment.
Following documents are required for the submission of a Non-Machine Readable Passport(NMRP)/Emergency Passport
- Duly completed passport application Form- “K35A”
Filled-in block capital English letters.
Please refer to trilingual instructions on (Downloads)
- Duly completed lost passport complaint form (Downloads) (in case of lost/stolen passport).
- Police Report obtained from the country where the passport was reported lost/stolen. The police report should be made available in English, authenticated by the relevant country’s Foreign Ministry.
- Affidavit of non-acquisition of citizenship of a foreign country/refugee/asylum status (in case of lost/stolen passports. (Downloads)
- Letter requesting NMRP/Emergency passport with supporting documents to support the reason/s to return to Sri Lanka in an urgency
- Confirmed flight ticket (at least 14 days in advance)
- Four clear coloured photographs as per the specifications for Sri Lankan passport photos (Downloads).
– The Photographs must meet the specifications indicated by the guidelines mentioned.
- Current Passport (in case of expired passport only) OR attested copies of the passport (Pages 2,3,4 & 5) by the Honorary Consul of the country of residence. (Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania & Gothenburg, Sweden)
- Original birth certificate OR attested copy of the birth certificate by the Honorary Consul of the country of residence.
– Please note that an original birth certificate or a certified copy of the original birth certificate should be issued by the Registrar General Department/ District Secretariat/ Divisional Secretariat only-
-English translation of the birth certificate nor e-DAS attested copy shall be considered as the original.
-Photocopies certified by the other parties and translators will not be accepted.
10.Validresidence permitOR attested copy of the residence permit card by the Honorary Consul of the country of residence.
-If the applicant is currently in the process of visa extension/renewal, a letter/status of the visa application from the resident country’s Migration Agency should be submitted. The letter must be in English/an English translation, counter-authenticated by the Foreign Ministry of the country of residence.
– Photocopies certified by the other parties and translators will not be accepted.
- A copy of the Sri Lankan National Identity Card (N.I.C). Not applicable for children under 18 years of age.
12. Personbevis from Tax office ( Skatterverket). Applicable only for residents of Sweden. Must be provided in English.
The following additional documents are required for specific requirements
- Dual Citizenship Certificate and foreign passport OR attested copies of the dual citizenship certificate and the foreign passport by the Honorary Consul of the country of residence.
- If the applicant was born outside Sri Lanka and over 21 years of age those applicants need to submit an affidavit affirming that they will retain Sri Lanka citizenship (Downloads)
Documents required for minor applicants below 16 years of age who apply for NMRP/Emergency passport
- Consent letter signed by both parents. Both Parents must sign the consent letter for the child. -Other appropriate documents (such as decision of the court if parents are divorced, death certificate if one or both parents are deceased, documentary evidence with regard to the legal guardianship/custody of the minor).
- If the child was born outside Sri Lanka, Citizenship Certificate or attested copy by the Honorary Consul of the country of residence OR Payment Receipt for Citizenship (if applying for the first time).
- Current passports of the parents OR attested copies by the Honorary Consul of the country of residence.
- Please refer to other documents required in addition to the above required documents for minor/dual citizenship holders in case of Lost/Stolen passports Requirements for Child and Dual Citizens
- Submission of forged certificates or any other documents as well as making false declarations is an offence. Such cases will be reported to relevant authorities.
- Fees will not be refunded under any circumstance.
- Fees of rejected applications will not be refunded.
- The Embassy will not take any responsibility for documents lost /damaged in the post.
- The NMRP/Emergency passport will be issued only to the applicant. If the NMRP/Emergency passport is for a child below 16-years, the parent who applied (applicant parent) could receive the NMRP/Emergency passport.
- If the applicant is unable to come to the Embassy to collect the NMRP/Emergency passport, please send an email requesting to post the NMRP/Emergency passport, with recipient name, postal address and contact number to the Consular Division.