Children born to Sri Lankan parents by descent or by registration can apply for a Sri Lankan Passport. At least one parent must be a Sri Lankan Citizen at the birth of the Child.
As per the new rules of Department of Immigration and Emigration, the validity period of the passports issued to applicants below age of 16 at the time of issuance of passport has been restricted for 3 years. The relevant fee for such passport is SEK 1225.
Note: If an applicant below age of 16 expects a passport of normal validity (10 years) needs to make a written request.
These applications are processed by the Overseas Missions Branch at Immigration Head Office.
|All relevant documents indicated below are required to attached to the application||Fee (SEK)|
|01||Duly completed application form (Filled in English Block Letters) (Download Application here)
(Fee SEK 1500, for children under 16 years SEK 1225 (valid only for 3 years)
(for a Lost Passport, please pay the applicable Lost Passport fee indicated at No 15 below )
|02||Original Birth Certificate of the Passport holder
(Issued by the Registrar General of Sri Lanka or Embassy of Sri Lanka in the country of Birth)
|03||Original Previous Passport (If available)|
|04||03 Clear coloured photographs of 3.5 x 4.5 cm in size. Please read the guidelines given below. The Photographs MUST meets the specifications indicated at the guidelines.|
|05||Original Sri Lanka National Identity Card (N.I.C) or Driving License.
Not applicable for children under 18 years of age
|06||Original Visa or Resident Permit of the applicant (Document issued by the Immigration Authority of the Country of Residence indicating the status and category of your visa.)|
|07||Declaration of Citizenship of the Applicant / Parents (Download Declaration here)|
|08||Original Marriage Certificate
(ONLY for female applicants if the surname of the husband should be included in the passport: Optional).
|09||Professional Qualifications Certificate or Letter from current employer to confirm the profession. (ONLY for insert /amend the profession: Optional)|
|Following additional documents are required for children under 16 years of age|
|10||Sri Lankan Passports of the parents & Declaration of the Citizenship of parents
(At least one parent MUST be a Sri Lankan citizen at the time of child’s birth)
|11||Original Visa of the parents|
|12||Consent letter signed by both of the parents. A Passport with validity for 10 years for a child under 16 years of age is issued with a special request from the parents/ applicants.|
|Following additional documents are required for Lost Passport applications|
|13||Original Police Report issued by the local police regarding the lost passport.
(This Document must attest from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country which it issued.)
(Attestation fee SEK 250)
|14||Letter issued by the Immigration Authority of the country of residence indicating the current visa status of the applicant and confirming that the applicant have not been issued a foreign travel document by them. (Attestation fee SEK 250)
(This Document must attest from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country which it was issued.)
|15||Lost Passport Fee
Apply with a copy of previous passport – SEK 3545 / Apply without a copy of previous passport – SEK 4495
|3545 or 4495|
|Postage (If applicable)||IF Within Sweden
|IF Out of Sweden
|Bank Fee (If applicable)||For Cross Border Transfer (SEK 50)||For SEPA Payments
Specifications of the Passport Photographs:
- The image should be 3.5 x 4.5 cm in size
- The image must have adequate brightness and contrast;
- The skin tone should be natural. In case of over-exposure or under-exposure of the photo, the skin is either too dark or too light, photo will not be acceptable;
- It should show a close up of the head and (partial) shoulders;
- The image should be straight looking, centered with neutral expression;
- Face should be in sharp focus and clear with no ink marks/creases/lines;
- The face (from forehead edge to bottom of chin) should be 70 to 80% of the photo or 2.5cm height;
- The eyes must be open and no hair obscuring the face;
- If worn Prescription glasses, it should be clear and thin framed and should not have flash reflection or obscure the eyes;
- Head coverings, hair, head-dress or facial ornaments should not obscure the face;
- The photo must have plain light background and must contrast with face and dress;
- There must be no other people or object in the photo;
- The lighting must be uniform with no shadows on the face or behind;
- Red eye photos are not allowed;
- No lines are allowed.
- The photo should be ideally printed in professional photo printing papers with continuous tone; and good resolution. Polaroid photos or photos printed with ordinary printers are not suitable.
Passports Applications with photos that do not match these specifications are liable to be rejected by the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka, and could result in delay in the process. Passport applicants are advised not to submit photos with any of the defects listed above.
The Embassy does not accept PAYMENTS MADE BY CHEQUES. If paid by the Debit/Credit Cards (Only accept VISA and Master cards), Bank commission of 1.5% will be added to the payment.
Ways to submit the application:
You may submit the application to the Consular Division of the Embassy by hand or post. Consular Division open from Monday to Friday except holidays (09.00 a.m. – 01.00 p.m.). Please obtain an online appointment from embassy website prior to visit to the Embassy to ensure the priority service.
Embassy of Sri Lanka
Strandvägen 39, Ground Floor
SE-114 56 Stockholm
Getting Service through post:
- All the original documents / applications must attach and applicant must sign in front of the Honorary Consul appointed by the Government of Sri Lanka for the particular country or region. Applicant must ensure that the Honorary Consul signed at the relevant places of all the documents / Applications.
- Relevant fee must pay to the Embassy bank account (Details given below) and attach the receipt of the payment to the application / Document.
Applicant must pay additional banking charges as follows;
If paid in Sweden in Swedish Kroner: SEK 22
If paid in a country other than Sweden: SEK 70 (Cross Border Transaction fee)
SWEDEN SEK 140:-
DENMARK SEK 180:-
ESTONIA SEK 180:-
LATVIA SEK 180:-
LITHUANIA SEK 180:-
- The payments must be made on the confirmation of application.
- The Embassy does not accept PAYMENTS MADE BY CHEQUES. If paid by the Debit/Credit Cards (Only accept VISA and Master cards), Bank commission of 1.5% will be added to the payment.
- Please note that according to the financial regulations of Sri Lanka, the fee paid will NOT be refunded.
- Applications are required to post to the following address. (Please do not address the cover to personal names of the staff members of the Embassy). Please note that Embassy will NOT take any responsibility to the documents which has NOT duly received to the Embassy Premises.
Embassy of Sri Lanka
Applicant who has been issued a new passport after 01/01/2018 through Embassy, the following procedures are needed to be followed at the Port of entry to validate the Biometric. There are no facilities at port of departure to provide biometrics.
- Passenger to report to primary Immigration counter or Report directly to the Chief Immigration Officer (CIO) at the port of entry.
- Biometric Data Acquisition (BDA) form will be issued to the passenger with a unique reference number,
- The BDA should be signed in two copies by the passenger
- One copy of the BDA is given to the passenger to produce at the Department of Immigration & Emigration at the time of biometrics enrolment
- Other copy will be retained at the airport
- Passenger could reserve date/time using the online appointment scheduling system at the website of the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka. Click here to online appointment system.
- Passenger reports to the Department of Immigration and Emigration Head Office or any regional office (Matara/ Kandy/ Vavuniya/ Kurunegala
- Fingerprint is captured at a special counter arranged at the Overseas Missions Division of the head office and regional offices.
- Upon providing biometrics, Department will issue a system generated receipt to confirm completion of biometrics acquisition process. Approximate waiting time is 30-45 minutes for this event.
- Border control system will be updated to allow the passenger departure from Sri Lanka. Recommend the Passenger to retain the receipt until departure from Sri Lanka
- General Contact Details of the Embassy:
Only During 09.00 to 13.00 Hours from Monday to Friday except Holidays
Tel: +46 (8) 663 65 23/25
- Department of Immigration & Emigration of Sri Lanka
Overseas Missions Division
Sri Subhuthipura Road,
Tel +94 11 5329230 Ext 9230
Fax +94 11 2879213