1. How can I get a Tourist Visit Visa to Sri Lanka?
There are three methods
- Online Visa (Valid only for 30 days)
- You must have a valid passport (Your passport must have a validity period for more than 6 months at the date of your arrival to Sri Lanka)
- You must have a copy of your return air/sea ticket from Sri Lanka.
- You must visit eta.gov.lk and fill the visa application. Initially you will get a confirmation notice and within 48 hours you will receive your visa approval notice. You must keep a copy of this visa reference number at your arrival in Sri Lanka.
- Passport holders from the Countries not listed at the drop down menu of ETA web site are unable to proceed with ETA and should visit Embassy to obtain visa. (Please refer par 2C below)
(ETA is an Electronic Travel Authorization granted online through the web based visa system implemented by the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka. An ETA is issued only for Short Visits i.e. less than 30 days to Sri Lanka for Business purposes, Tourism and Transit purposes. Official Web site is www.eta.gov.lk.)
We caution you that some unauthorized websites are in operation to charge very high visa fee. You are requested to use ONLY the following official website of the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka for obtaining visa: www.eta.gov.lk
ETA Tourist Visa fee: USD 35
- On Arrival Visa
- If you have a passport issued by Sweden, Denmark, Estonia, Latvia or Lithuania, you can obtain Visa on Arrival at the Bandaranaike International Airport. Passport holders from other countries may contact Immigration Department of Sri Lanka for clarification. firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com . (Please download the letter indicating that Sri Lanka allows on arrival visa for 30 days and produce at the airport check-in if required)
- You have to pay USD 40 at the Airport Immigration Counter when obtaining On Arrival Visa.
- Visit or Post your Visa Application and Passports to Sri Lanka Embassy in Stockholm
- Duly filled application form – Download Application
- Copy of return Air ticket and
- Original Passports
Tourist Visa for 30 Days is issued Free of charge until 31st January 2020.
Tourist Visa for more than 30 days and less than 90 days need to pay only the Country fee of 265 SEK until 31st January 2020
Submit Visa application to the Embassy by Visiting:
Duly filled application form – Download Application, copy of return Air ticket and Original Passports could be handed over to the visa counter at the Embassy. Please obtain an online appointment from embassy website prior to visit to the Embassy to ensure the priority service.
Embassy of Sri Lanka
Strandvägen 39, Ground Floor
SE-114 56 Stockholm
Getting Visa Service through post:
- Optionally the applicant may post the documents to the following address with the copy of payment receipts issue by the Bank.
- Relevant fee must pay to the Embassy bank account (Details given below) and attach the receipt of the payment to the application / Document.
Applicant must pay additional banking charges as follows;
- If paid in Sweden in Swedish Kroner: No Bank Fee
- If paid in a country other than Sweden: SEK 50 (Cross Border Transaction fee)
SWEDEN SEK 140:-
DENMARK SEK 180:-
ESTONIA SEK 180:-
LATVIA SEK 180:-
LITHUANIA SEK 180:-
EMBASSY BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS
Bank Name: SEB (SkandinaviskaEnskildaBanken)
Account No.: 5213-100-2386
IBAN: SE 51 500000000 521 31002386
BIC: ESS ESESS
- If an applicant need to get 30 days Tourist Visit Visa through post which applied and paid in Sweden, Following fee must pay to the bank account:
Visa Fee SEK 300 + Postage SEK 140 = Total SEK 440
- If an applicant need to get 30 days Tourist Visa through post which applied and paid from Denmark, following fee must pay to the bank account:
Visa Fee SEK 300+ Bank Fee SEK 50 + Postage SEK 180 = Total SEK 530
- The payments must be paid prior to post the application or at the Embassy.
- Payments will be INVALIDATED, if any applicant have NOT completed the specified requirements of their application within 3 months.
- The Embassy does not accept PAYMENTS MADE BY CHEQUES. If paid by the Debit/Credit Cards (Only accept VISA and Master cards), Bank commission of 1.5% will be added to the payment.
- Please note that according to the financial regulations of Sri Lanka, the fee paid will NOT be refunded.
- Applications are required to post to the following address. (Please do not address the cover to personal names of the staff members of the Embassy). Please note that Embassy will NOT take any responsibility to the documents which has NOT duly received to the Embassy Premises.
Embassy of Sri Lanka
3. Can I apply 90 days Visa from ETA?
No. You can’t apply 90 days visa through ETA.
You have to visit the Sri Lanka Embassy in Stockholm with your Passport, copy of return Air Ticket and duly filled Application form.
Or you may send your Passport by mail along with the duly filled application form downloaded from the Embassy web site, copy of return Air ticket and copy of payment receipts issue by the Bank.
90 Days Tourist visa fee is SEK 300 and additional country fee will be charged as follows for the passport holders of those countries. Children under the age of 12 will also be charged the relevant country fee.
Sweden SEK 265
Denmark SEK 285
Estonia SEK 130
Latvia SEK 105
Lithuania SEK 105
Bank Charges and Postage fee indicated at 1.C. above are applicable as appropriate.
- If an applicant need to get 90 days Tourist Visit Visa through post which applied and paid in Sweden, Following fee must pay to the bank account:
Visa Fee SEK 300+ Country Fee SEK 265 + Postage SEK 140 = Total SEK 705
- If an applicant need to get 90 days Tourist Visa through post which applied and paid from Denmark, following fee must pay to the bank account:
Visa Fee SEK 300+ Country Fee SEK 285 + Bank Fee SEK 50 + Postage SEK 180 = Total SEK 815
4. Do I need a ticket before I apply for an ETA?
ETA can be obtained even before booking your ticket.
5. Can I extend my visa From Sri Lanka?
Yes, you can extend your visa from Sri Lanka. You have visit to the Department of Immigration & Emigration at ”Suhurupaya”, Sri Subhuthipura Road, Battaramulla, Sri Lanka.
6. How do I know if my ETA is still valid for travel to Sri Lanka?
If you have applied for an ETA, you can inquire through ETA web site to find out its current status. You will need to enter your Reference Number in order to make this inquiry. Please visit www.eta.gov.lk
You can also contact our 24/7 dedicated ETA call centre on 0094 71 99 67 888.
7. How does the airline know that I have a valid visa to travel to Sri Lanka?
ETA is not a pre-requisite to board a flight/vessel to Sri Lanka. (Please download the letter indicating that Sri Lanka allows on arrival visa for 30 days and produce at the airport check-in if required)
8. What can I do if I am unable to apply through this ETA web site?
You are required to follow the option 1.B. or 1.C. indicated above.
9. Is my personal information safe at ETA?
ETA web site operates under the principles outlined in the Privacy Statement. Only the data required to process your application will be collected. It will be used only for this purpose. Data in your ETA application will be stored in secured servers of the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka.
10. How secured are the payments made through electronic payment cards (credit card/e-commerce enabled debit cards) on ETA web site?
Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka has designed payment gateway of ETA in accordance with the international standards.
11. Which electronic payment cards (credit card/e-commerce enabled debit cards) are accepted?
American Express, Master and Visa cards are accepted.
12. What happens if I already possess a valid visa?
If you already possess a valid Residence Visa or Multiple Entry Visa, a fresh ETA application cannot be lodged until that visa expires or is cancelled.
13. If I already possess a valid ETA, can I apply for a fresh ETA again?
ETA is valid for six months and a fresh ETA cannot be obtained using the same passport until that ETA expires. If you lost the passport which contains the valid ETA you need to obtain a new passport and may apply for a fresh ETA by paying the relevant fee again.
14. Can I apply for a fresh ETA while being in Sri Lanka?
You cannot obtain a fresh ETA while being in Sri Lanka irrespective of whether your ETA is valid or expired. You are required to report to Department of Immigration and Emigration to get instructions.
15. What happens if my application is not approved?
If your ETA application is not approved it will be referred to the Sri Lanka Embassy in Sweden. You may contact the Embassy of Sri Lanka for further assistance. (Department of Immigration and Emigration has the sole authority to approve or reject any visa application)
16. If my application for ETA was unsuccessful can I get my processing fee back?
The fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
17. What can I do if I make a mistake in my application?
Once an application is submitted processed and payment is made, you cannot cancel the transaction and the payment cannot be reimbursed. Therefore, please ensure that you enter your personal details correctly. If you have made an error, it is important that you correct it before confirmation. Once you have confirmed the details, your electronic payment card (credit card/e-commerce enabled debit card) will be debited for the non-refundable service charge. If you find out later that you have made a mistake, then you will have to submit a fresh application and pay the relevant fee again.
18. How to Extend Short Visit Visa.
A visitor wishing to stay for more than 30 days in Sri Lanka may apply for an extension. The Short Visit visa may be extended up to 90 days from the date of arrival at the first instance and further 90 days at the second instance.
Application for an extension should be submitted to the Visa Section of the Department of Immigration and Emigration (head office) by visiting the Department or through an Authorized Travel Agent. For more details visit. www.immigration.gov.lk.
19. Can I take medicine to Sri Lanka?
Yes. You can take medicine with you subjected to producing the prescription issued by a certified Medical Practitioner at your country. Always keep a copy of your prescription with your medicine.
20. Do we have to get any Vaccination when travelling to Sri Lanka (e.g. Yellow Fever vaccination)?
People who travel from African and Latin American countries have to get yellow fever vaccination. Requirement for vaccination may change from time to time depending on the outspread of epidemics in different parts of the world. Keep your vaccination records along with you at the arrival, if such requirement is made.
21. Can I bring Spirit, Wine and Cigarettes for my personal use?
You can buy Spirit, Wine and Cigarettes at the Duty Free shops at Bandaranaike International Airport. You are allowed to bring those items only for your personal usage and please consult Airport Custom officials for further clarifications.
22. I want to take my pets with me during my stay in Sri Lanka. What Shall I do?
You are required to contact the Animal Quarantine Office at the Bandaranaike International Airport.
Please download the application form available at the http://www.daph.gov.lk and forward to firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain the license.
23. Can I take my drone with me when I travel to Sri Lanka?
You are requested to register information with the Sri Lanka Civil Aviation Authority. Please visit https://www.caa.lk/
24. Am I entitled to use tourist visa for journalism related work, business related work or media coverage work?
NO, the Tourist Visa holder should not engage himself/herself in any paid/unpaid employments or in any business, media or trade related work upon arrival or during the stay in Sri Lanka.